Monday, June 25, 2012

Dear Body, Love Self

At this point in recovery every day was starting to get easier. After my questioning/talking/crying/screaming phase I felt that my head was more clear than it had been in years. Each time I went to group a new light bulb seemed to turn on and my body was getting healthier too. I was taking less than half of the laxatives I was when I started and I was finding other ways to deal with my emotions.

I can remember my therapist giving me "coping techniques" for when I was feeling the urge to binge or take a laxative. One idea that has stuck with me is the idea of appealing to any sense but taste. For instance, when I was feeling urge to eat out of stress, sadness, loniliness, etc. I could choose to do something that appealed to sight. This didn't just mean to look at something. It meant to really look at something. So, I could find something that was appealing or interesting to look at and study it. Absorb it. Embrace it. Focus on that one thing for 5-10 minutes. I could listen to music, but I had to listen to every word and sink into the sound. This part of therapy was a huge help to me. By the time I did one of these things, my urge to binge or purge had subsided and I was able to move forward.

When I got down to three laxatives a day I was ready to be done with them. I didn't want to do it gradually anymore. I was just ready to say goodbye to them for good. So, at the beginning of December I stopped taking them completely and I felt insanely free. I had learned that I could survive without coping in that way.

One of my favorite memories from group was close to the end of treatment. One of the therapists was leading a Body Image group. She asked us all to write a letter to our bodies from ourselves. She gave us no other instruction. I was stumped. Everyone else was writing. I couldn't seem to separate myself from my body. My body was part of myself. Wasn't it? The therapist asked me if I was having trouble. "I just don't know what to say." I was finally able to write something. We went around the room and read our letters. I was last. It was emotional listening to these women I had come to love talk to their bodies. Some talked to their bodies negatively, some apologized, but all of them talked about how they wanted to love their bodies. I was last. It took me a minute to gather myself.

"When I started writing this letter my instinct was to write something negative about my body..."

I started to laugh and cry at the same time.

"...but i couldn't. For the first time in years, I had nothing negative to say to my body."

I was smiling so big but tears were streaming down my face and my heart was so full. The therapist and a couple of the other ladies cried too, and the therapist said, "This is why I love my job." This is what my letter said:

Dear Body,

I'm thinking about all you have endured.  I am thinking about the binges, the laxatives, the starvation, the dehydration. You haven't done anything to deserve the abuse I have given to you. You have kept fighting even when I gave you no means to do so. I have hated you so much even when you were fighting to give me a healthy home. I have loathed you even while you were doing beautiful things, like carrying my precious son. I'm so sorry.

I will look at you now with thankfulness, rather than disdain. I will reframe negative thoughts to remember the things you continue to give me. I will remind myself that you are a temporary vessel that is serving its purpose and doing it well.  I will take care of you. I will love you.

Love,
Self

I'm still trying to do these things every day. Some days are harder than others, but when I pull out this letter it helps me remember I am much more than just my body. It has done so much for me, but it's not who I am. I have bigger things to worry about than making this temporary shell look perfect and while I want to keep my body healthy, I want my first priority to be keeping my heart and soul healthy because those are the things that really matter.

1 comment:

  1. This is so encouraging. Isn't it almost surreal when you reach this point... In no means is it the end of struggle, but the start of solid recovery, and it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete